Vaginal dryness is a very common women’s health concern. While a significant number of young women in their 20s and 30s can suffer from vaginal dryness, it affects more than half of postmenopausal women and about 63% of women who have had breast cancer treatment. Even more disturbing, Harvard Health says up to 90% of women don’t seek treatment.
We say, take your life back! With MonaLisa® Touch, we can treat vaginal dryness to give you long-lasting, truly impressive relief. You can regain your physical comfort, quality of life, and self-confidence.
Common Symptoms of Vaginal Dryness
Vaginal dryness can bring on physical symptoms such as:
- Discomfort or pain during intercourse
- Discomfort or pain when sitting, standing, urinating, or exercising – especially activities such as jogging, biking and horseback riding
- Changed appearance in the vaginal area, particularly thinning of the labia
- In turn, physical symptoms can trigger psychological symptoms such as:
- Lack of sexual desire or avoidance of intimacy
- Reduced self-esteem
- Feelings of resignation
The stress or anxiety of psychological symptoms can actually worsen your vaginal dryness by restricting blood flow.
Yeast infections and herpes virus can mimic some of these symptoms, and over-the-counter yeast infection treatments can exacerbate vaginal dryness. It is important to discuss your vaginal health with your doctor to get a proper diagnosis.
Causes of Vaginal Dryness
A healthy vagina is naturally lubricated from within by glands at the entrance of the cervix. As the secreted moisture passes through the vagina, it carries away dead cells to keep the area clean. It also helps maintain a slightly acidic pH to prevent infections.
Many things can cause vaginal dryness:
- Insufficient arousal before intercourse
- Chemicals in feminine hygiene products, soaps, bubble baths, laundry detergents, or swimming pools and hot tubs
- Certain medications designed to dry mucous membranes (allergy and cold medicines and some anti-depressants)
The main cause of ongoing vaginal dryness is reduced estrogen levels in the body, brought on by a hysterectomy, menopause, or chemotherapy associated with breast cancer treatment. Without enough estrogen to promote full vaginal health, the vaginal lining loses moisture and elasticity and becomes thinner.
Options for Treating Vaginal Dryness
There are quite a number of ways to treat the symptoms of vaginal dryness:
- Pre-intercourse lubricants
- Estrogen tablets, gels, or creams inserted into the vagina two or three times a week
- Creams or lotions that moisturize the vaginal area and help relieve skin irritation
- Regularly performing pelvic floor exercises (Kegel squeezes)
These treatment options can provide some level of relief and, in the case of estrogen-based products, help improve vaginal pH to reduce risk of infections. However, over time most of these options can become quite costly, and you have to keep using or doing them to maintain the benefits.
MonaLisa® Touch Treats the Cause, for Long-Lasting Results
MonaLisa® Touch treatment uses advanced laser technology to gently reinvigorate vaginal tissues, to naturally restore needed hydration, elasticity, and pH. Treatment is safe, fast (just five minutes for each of three sessions), and exceptionally effective.
As a woman, you will still have about a third of your life to live after menopause. You should enjoy every minute to the fullest. There’s no reason to feel embarrassed about vaginal dryness when three short treatments with MonaLisa® Touch can help you feel so much better – physically and emotionally – to revitalize your intimate relationship and your overall quality of life.